Thursday, August 16, 2012

EXCLUSIVE! Chad Nevett's Comic Book Mini-Reviews and Star Ratings for the Week of August 15, 2012

Butcher Baker, the Righteous Maker #8: I can only imagine how frustrating the wait must have been for Casey given that this is the last issue. That was a surprise, wasn't it? I can't recall being surprised like that before. The comic just comes out and, boom, done. It snuck up on us. And I think it was the right call. Not just ending the book -- who am I to tell these guys how long to keep making this book -- but not announcing it. The shape of the story wasn't apparent until now. It wasn't a 'waiting out the clock' game. No looking at your watch and going "Oh, there's only five minutes left in the episode, I guess it's time for them to catch the killer" bullshit. Instead, it's a wonderful surprise kick to the gut with strong writing, amazing art, and a desire for more. Always leave 'em wanting and all that... But, also, everything is ending now it seems and, now, this, too. Just when I thought I had it back, it's over. That kinda sucks. [****1/2]

Daredevil #17: I don't know why, but I have the impression that this comic is, like, 40% stories about the past. I get it, Matt and Foggy are best buds and the current situation is unnatural. Good art. [***1/2]

Fatale #7: Something was lost in the wait... What? It's true. [***1/2]

Wonder Woman #12: The fight scene! Apollo on the throne! THE FINAL PAGE! And, now, we have to wait an extra month for what happens next thanks to fucking zero month. [Fuck you, DC]

X-Men #34: Five pages just to show some guy on a boat getting a package... Only one page of Cyclops chewing out Storm... Cyclops definitely has that 'asshole police chief' vibe in that scene. I'd read more comics about that. I really would. Hell, I would have read a comic about a small police squad in Utopia, busting up crime, busting heads... did such a comic exist and I missed it? Probably not. I do like this comic, though. They're trying to take down mutant-gene-drinking L. Ron Hubbard after all. That's pretty neat. I wish Roland Boschi would let loose a little more, though. [***1/2]

Later