Thursday, November 10, 2011

CBR Review: New Avengers #18

I recently reviewed New Avengers #18 for CBR and, in the process, wrote the following sentences: "There’s a storytelling tendency in comics that’s come into vogue sometime during the last decade that’s driving me absolutely nuts: the need to explain every little detail. It’s not enough to tell a story anymore; everything that leads into a story must be examined and explained even if there’s no point beyond the explanation existing. Brian Michael Bendis does this from time to time, the most notable example being those retched Secret Invasion issues of New Avengers and Mighty Avengers that detailed how every Skrull infiltrated Earth. The stories were unnecessary and rarely interesting, because we could all fill in the gaps after the point in time someone was replaced was revealed. Something similar happens in New Avengers #18, where Norman Osborn recruits his new Dark Avengers."

You can read the rest HERE!

(Also, I know I wrote about this in my Sketch Reviews. After doing that post, I realised no one had signed up to review this and, since I had some strong views, called it and wrote a review.)