Thursday, September 01, 2011

Sketch Reviews (September 1 2011)

I don't know why, but it's very busy outside in the city of Windsor today. Lots of cars on the road, lots of people on the sidewalks, lots of people on the bus, even lots of people in my comic shop (okay, like, five other people -- but, considering I'm often the only one in there when I show up on Thursday, that's a lot of people). It's also incredibly hot and humid. Now, I am inside with the AC on, my slushy mug mostly full, David Bowie on the stero, and this week's comics read. Now, to discuss them...

Butcher Baker, the Righteous Maker #6: Liked the way the flashback scene was presented and Huddleston's depiction of the generals was great. The amount of style changes he uses in a single issue... Wait, what religion is Jihad Jones? [****]

Deadpool MAX #11: Goddamn, that's fucked up. I love Kyle Baker even if he isn't trying. [***3/4]

The Mighty Thor #5: Aside from that ending that is funny for all the wrong reasons, another entertaining issue. Odin headbutting Galactus is awesome in that way that even I can appreciate it -- and it looked damn cool. [***1/2]

Secret Avengers #16: A cross between Global Frequency and Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E.. I rather like how this issue ended and the way that Steve dealt with it. Thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable. McKelvie handled the action quite well, choosing some fantastic angles (like when Steve shoots his gun at us). Lovely done-in-one that also manages to fit into the larger narrative of the book so far. Pretty much what I was hoping for. [****]

Later