Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Quickie Reviews (July 21 2010)

Most of the books I got this week are for reviewing purposes (or books I normally buy and am reviewing). But, there are a trio of Avengers titles that aren't getting reviewed, so I guess I can share a few words on them here...

Avengers #3: Goddamn, I am enjoying the hell out of this book. This is like the anti-Bendis comic, but with the same Bendis dialogue. Lots going on, lots of action, lots of fun with great art by John Romita, Jr. This story isn't going off in any direction that I expected and... yeah, just very, very satisfied with this comic right now. [****]

New Avengers #2: This one less so. It's not bad, but it doesn't blow me away the same way. It follows a similar pattern of tons of action with Bendis's dialogue thrown in and great art, but the story is just less compelling and surprising. Some very nice bits of dialogue, like the Thing's comment about the answer to who would win in a fight between himself and Luke Cage. Just a small step down from Avengers. [***3/4] (Yes, I used three-quarters! It's my blog, I can rate how I want...)

Ultimate Comics Avengers 2 #5: This series hasn't impressed me as much as the first one, which didn't really impress me as much as either Ultimates series by Millar and Hitch. This second series has felt like stalling and padding and never getting to the point, this issue no exception. It's like Millar had two issues of story here and just dragged it out. But, hey, that means six issues of Leinil Francis Yu working his magic, which I can live with. Also, there are the odd cool moments like the conversation between Hawkeye and Punisher, or Cash's reaction to War Machine worrying that he may kill him. We'll see how this ends in two weeks. [***]

And that does it for this week. Later.