Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I Bought Comics: Second Week of August 2008

[To call these reviews would be kind. Blurbs is more like it. Sometimes calling them rants is accurate. Just so you know.

On the bus to the comic shop, a woman and a man got into an argument over issues unknown to me. They weren't sitting together and seemed to be strangers, but they had a very vocal argument. I don't know what it was about because I had my discman on (No Wow by the Kills was the CD). From what I could piece together by the woman's actions (telling people to move for a lady with a stroller and then shutting windows because of the AC), she thought she was in charge of the bus and this man had done something wrong by... sitting in his seat. In between songs, I did learn that the man served in the armed forces, but didn't learn why that mattered. Buses are weird.

Astonishing X-Men #26

Wow, I am not digging Simone Bianchi's art on this book. It just doesn't have the same skill or oomph as his previous stuff. It's also weird to watch as Cyclops's visor changes shape from panel to panel... The colouring is drab still.

Ellis's writing, on the other hand, is a little slow here, but the dialogue is sharp and I'm enjoying myself. He's obviously drawing on the works of Morrison and Whedon here--taking what he likes and gently mocking what he doesn't. Works for me.

Batman #679

Dr. Hurt thinks he's Thomas Wayne. The new Batman isn't Bruce Wayne, not really. Batman was created by a checkerboard and the Joker is obsessed with checkerboard patterns. The first villain to fall is a cheap Joker rip-off, making the Joker's place in the Club of Villains secure. Bat-Might? Has the Batman become just like the Joker? Hmm. Hurm.

Captain Britian and MI:13 #4

Three words: "No more Skrulls." Oh ho ho, Paul Cornell is a funny, funny guy. This book continues to be witty and fun; heroic and inspiring; modern, but also traditional. Cornell writes a British book quite unlike other Brit superhero books we've seen before, and it works very well. And that ending... what does that mean? Although, I do find it funny that Brian gives up Excalibur because he's used it to kill... Um, what did he think King Arthur used it for?

The Last Defenders #6

I called who the new Nighthawk would be. For the record. I can't remember where (probably in a review for issue two or three right here), but I did. For I am genius. Lovely paradox of an ending: the Last Defenders are created by Kyle Richmond because the Last Defenders save Kyle Richmond, thus showing him who the Last Defenders are. Not quite convinced why these four people are the perfect mixture and Casey doesn't really attempt to explain it. This series has been an examination on the nature of superhero teams, what works, what doesn't, and the lack of explanation is part of that. Who knows why one team works and another doesn't? There is a suggestion that the four elements play a role here in a similar manner to the Fantastic Four, but it's a semi-subtle one. There's also the connection to the original Defenders, although I don't see how Nighthawk connects to the Silver Surfer. What am I missing there? And, will we see more of this group soon? The end seems to suggest that we will. Good.

Secret Invasion #5

Graeme has a point. What was the point of the tease at the end of issue four when it's not followed up here at all? I mean, this book is full of cool scenes and all, but, as a narrative, it's really falling apart. Is there a narrative anymore?

Secret Invasion: Thor #1

This was decent, but nothing spectacular. Beta Ray Bill falls to Earth. The Skrulls want to kill the Asgardians. Donald Blake has to deliver a baby. I trust Fraction to amp it up a bit in the next two issues, but this didn't wow me. I'm not a big fan of the lack of inks here, either. It doesn't look that bad, just a little muddled and unfinished--and for no apparent reason.

Transhuman #3

I totally forget who is who in this book. But, there are some interesting bits in this issue on the nature of humanity and advanced monkeys. It's an interesting book at the very least. How well it works as a narrative I don't know, but we'll see how all four issues read together.

Young Liars #6

David Lapham is good. I both care for and hate most of the characters in this book. And I never know what's going to happen next. Last issue surprised the hell out of me and so does this one. The man obviously has a plan or he's making it up as he goes. Either way, I'm really digging the hell out of his book.

New feature announcement! Starting on Friday, I'll be doing a longer review/analysis of one of the comics I buy that week. It will be based purely on what I feel like talking about. What's interesting. I have no idea which one of these books it will be yet, but if you want to request a more detailed look at one of them, go for it. Not that your opinion will necessarily matter, but it may get me thinking and who knows where that will lead.