Saturday, March 08, 2008

The Sunday Open: First Week of March Part 1

Since I got a whole lot of books this past week as a trip to London always means my pull list there plus whatever the Windsor shops didn't have since my last visit. I'm going to do this week's haul over three posts (one today and then two tomorrow). They're divided up by type/theme sort of, but not really. Well, let's get to it...

The All New Atom #21

After we finish up a column, Tim and I always discuss what to look at next week. This usually means looking at the shipping list, seeing what we're already buying and if anything there is interesting--and, if not, what else is coming out (which is how we looked at Booster Gold #0). This past week, nothing was really jumping out, so we both agreed to buy Casanova #12 (which we both buy already...) and The All New Atom #21, and we'd discuss whichever seemed more likely to produce discussion (and then we ended up talking about Punisher War Journal #17 anyway). What this all really means is that, hey, I got The All New Atom #21. Tim suggested it because this is Rick Remender's first issue on the book (along with artist Patrick Oliffe) and, apparently, Remender has some buzz going for him or something. I wouldn't know because this is the first book he's written that I've read.

Yeah, and I'm not exactly eager to read more. Really, this wasn't a bad comic, it was just kind of... there. Apparently Ray Palmer (the All Old Atom) fucked shit up so the All New Atom (who probably has a name, but I can't remember it) has to shrink himself down and dive into a puddle of his own blood to solve it. That sounds pretty fucking awesome, but it isn't. It's boring and tedious and I don't care. At the end of the issue, his blood attacks and eats his roommate, which, again, sounds awesome and just isn't.

Meh. Moving on...

Cable #1

Okay, apparently Stephen Platt wasn't wrong and Cable is, like, ten feet tall. Hell, if you look at this issue's cover and compare it to Platt's art, he drew Cable too small. But, then again, everyone has been harping on the cover of this issue with giant Cable and horribly underdeveloped baby, how was the actual issue?

Sparse. It felt like the first third of the full first issue. It reminds me of the recent Thor #1 like that. You almost get an idea of what's going on and then the issue is over and you're left going "Where's the rest of it?"

I will say that I like the concept of the book as Cable has needed a direction since his battle with Apocalypse since that was his big mission. The whole Soldier X stuff was fantastic, but obviously didn't sell well enough to warrant continuing down that path and the whole Messiash Love God stuff was really interesting, but not sustainable in the Marvel universe where no real change could be imposed. That led into Cable getting back the shoulder pads and big guns (*groan*) and joining the X-Men, which was, like, why? Out of "Messiash Complex," he's got a new mission and it's interesting... he's travelled to the future to protect the first mutant born since M-Day. I think the book has potential to do some really good stories if Duane Swierczynski could put a bit more into each issue. There's a good cliffhanger at the end (albeit one that is very fucking obvious).

I'll give this a few issues to determine if it stays or goes.

Captain America #35

I still haven't gotten issue 34, but hopefully I'll be able to get the director's cut version that comes out this week (and I'd rather have, because, let's be honest, regular story PLUS the script and other shit is better). That said, had no problem following along here as Brubaker's story continues along apace. It continues to rock and I wish this book came out weekly.

Infinity, Inc. #5-7

I am really digging this book and am actually dreading next issue when Pete Woods takes over the art and the team gets uniforms. Shit, man, I am going to miss Max Fiumara's art, actually--although Matt Camp's work on issues six and seven has me asking, why isn't he taking over the book? His stuff is crisp and clean and really fantastic. I know, I know, DC thinks bringing on Pete Woods will boost sales a little, but I think they should not worry about that so much as find the right artist to go with Milligan's off-beat stories and just be satisfied with a cult book. Of course, not many people seem to be digging this title, wich is a shame. It started off a little slow, but it's become pretty weird and fucked up. Milligan is, kind of, doing a take off on Morrison's Doom Patrol with the idea of superhero team as therapy group, except there's no therapist here (at least not for the whole team) and it reads more like the crazy people running the show, fighting with each other. Also, the post-superhero concept adds another interesting level as these character try to deal with the fallout of Lex Luthor's Everyman Program. I'm really just afraid that adding costumes and a more mainstream artist will take away from this book, which is one of the more interesting superhero titles on the shelf. Hell, there's a scene in issue six that alludes to the fact that this isn't a typical mainstream book with Superman and Batman discussing a mass of killings by people in suburban Metropolis where the killers claim that TV made them do it and Batman responds, "AND LAST WEEK IT WAS VIDEO GAMES." Really, he shouldn't respond like that since he deals with crazy-as-fuck on a daily basis, but this is the shit that's too weird for the big guns.

Or something, I dunno... I dig this book is all and hope it doesn't turn to shit next month.

New Avengers annual #2

"I THINK iTUNES REVOLUTIONIZED THE MUSIC INDUSTRY."

And to think that Bendis was known for his witty dialogue...

This issue concludes the war between the New Avengers and the Hood's group in a massive brawl that's only won when Dr. Strange goes batshit insane after, well, dying... sorta.

It's an alright issue, nothing special. I did like the bit where Spider-Man jumps back into the house, grabs Danielle while Luke and Jessica freak out, if only because it capitalises on the paranoia of the book. But, really, nothing that special.

The Order #7-8

I'll miss this book. It's a solid superhero team book month in and month out. I must admit that the "THEY WERE HAVING SEX" moment in issue eight seemed a little too Ellis for me (one of the few Fraction has). Otherwise, I don't have much to say about this title, except that it's good. Fuck, I am horrible at discussing stuff I like.

Tomorrow, two more posts on new books--one in late morning/early afternoon and another at night, probably.