Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Ignore Me, Go Elsewhere

Go read this fantastic essay by Greg Burgas on postmodernism in comics, Grant Morrison and Joe Casey. Some really interesting ideas in there. I'll comment on it later when I get back from class.

EDIT: So, it's later. Not surprising, what I wish Burgas had commented on a little was Marvel Boy, which I consider to be the highlight of Morrison's Marvel work--particularly within the idea of experimentation and postmodernism.

I pretty much agree with the essay and I think it points out the reason why I haven't been able to get into Gødland as much as I was into Casey's Wildcats, Automatic Kafka and, even, The Intimates. Those books pushed things forward--if only a slight bit, while Gødland doesn't. And there's nothing wrong with that. I still dig the book a lot, just not with the same fanatacism as the other works. Hell, even Casey's final year on Adventures of Superman had him do something interesting stuff with Superman as a pacifist.

The only area of disagreement is probably over Morrison's Authority, which I still hold out hope for, but that's very minor.

So, yeah, if you haven't read the essay yet, go do so.